Proposed Urban Agriculture Zoning Code: FAQs

Proposed Urban Agriculture Zoning Code: FAQs

As many of you know, the City of Pittsburgh is considering significant amendments to the urban agriculture zoning code that will make it easier to grow food in our city, as well as increase opportunities to keep bees, chickens, goats and more, depending on property size.

[dt_sc_blockquote type=”type4″ align=”left”]Exciting changes are taking place around urban agriculture in the City. Be a part of the conversation. Read more here. [/dt_sc_blockquote]

Frequently Asked Questions:

Where can I obtain an application for these activities?

The City of Pittsburgh Zoning Departments offices, located on the 3rd Floor, 200 Ross St., Pittsburgh, PA 15222, or online here.

Where is the City of Pittsburgh’s Zoning Department located and what are their hours?

The office is open from 8am-3pm Monday through Friday. Representatives can be reached at 412.255.2246. See above for the physical address.

I am interested in keeping bees, chickens or goats but my property is less than 2,000 sq. feet. What can I do?

You can file for a variance. This will take time and money to achieve, and whatever situation is approved through the zoning variance process will stay with the property, not transfer with you should you move. You can discuss the variance process with the Zoning office.

I would like to keep more than the allotted amount of bees, chickens or goats. What can I do?

You can file for a variance. See above.

I am allergic to bees and concerned about my neighbors having beehives. Is this safe?

Yes. Less than 1 percent of the population is truly allergic (going into anaphylactic shock requiring the carrying of an Epi-pen). Any other type of reaction is considered normal. Honeybees are docile and will only become aggressive if they feel threatened. Beekeepers use smoke and proper management skills to minimize stings.

My neighbor has bees, chickens or goats and I don’t think they are being kept properly. What can I do?

Depending on the severity of the situation, a 311 report will get to humane officers in a day or two. Call directly 412.847.7066, and leave a message with the address of the situation.

I found a roaming chicken, duck or goat. Who do I call to pick up this animal?

Animal Care and Control will attempt to capture a wandering animal. Call 412.255.2036. If you have the animal captured either the Animal Rescue League or the Humane Society can accept the farm animal.

I want to keep both chickens and bees on a 2,000 sf property, may I?

Yes. Bees and goats are allowed as well at 2,000sf. But not chickens and goats together until the property is 10,000 sq. ft.

I’m still confused or have questions. Who can I talk to?

Depending on the nature of your question, you can contact the following offices:

Burgh Bees:,

Grow Pittsburgh:, www

Pittsburgh Food Policy Council:,

Pittsburgh Pro Poultry People (P4):,