PGH Mobile Toolbox
You bring the team.
We bring the tools.
That’s the slogan for the PGH Mobile Toolbox, a first-of-its-kind resource in Allegheny County. Beginning this spring, GTECH and Neighborhood Allies will roll out this shared community resource to residents, volunteer groups and organizations who need landscaping tools for neighborhood cleanups, vacant lot beautification, or the implementation and maintenance of food gardens, green infrastructure, trails or general community gathering spaces.
The PGH Mobile Toolbox supports a growing network of residents who are ready to mobilize to transform their communities.
Interested in hosting your very own workday? Here are the steps you need to take to reserve the PGH Mobile Toolbox. Please be sure to review all the necessary steps before submitting your intake form below.
- Submit a PGH Mobile Toolbox Intake Form – Minimum of 1 week before your intended workday – Select a date and tell us about your project and your specific needs for the workday. We encourage residents to partner with local community groups, nonprofits, block watches, etc, when submitting your intake form to strengthen the impact of your workday. We prefer that you recruit a minimum of 5 volunteers for your workday. For any future workdays, even if they take place at the same site, a new intake form must be submitted.
- Confirmation and Pre-Authorization – You will receive email notification that your workday has been approved and booked on the PGH Mobile Toolbox calendar. With this email, we will schedule a phone call with to collect your cancelation deposit and discuss your workday plans. Although the PGH Mobile Toolbox is free to use, we do place your credit card on file in case of theft, vandalism or last minute cancelation. Your credit card will not be charged unless you breach the terms and conditions (see the FAQ for conditions where your card would be charged).
Day-Of – What to Expect
- Workday Setup – We ask that you meet the PGH Mobile Toolbox on site 30 minutes before the start time of the workday to assist with equipment setup. It is important to secure the proper parking space prior to the arrival of the PGH Mobile Toolbox.
- Sign Up and Safety – Sign in your volunteers using the waiver provided with the PGH Mobile Toolbox. After everyone is signed in, all volunteers will participate in a 10 minute tool safety demonstration given by our hauling contractor.
- Work Work Work! Facilitate your full workday from start to finish. Don’t be afraid to ask for the assistance of our contract hauler.
- Load Up and Roll Out – After the workday, help our hauler clean up and take a full tool inventory. Once the PGH Mobile Tool Box is fully loaded, it is time to roll out.
Post Workday – What We Will Need From You
- Post Paperwork – Ensure that the contract hauler has 3-5 quality photos from the workday, along with the volunteer sign in sheet, and report on how the workday went by completing the post workday survey. GTECH staff will reach out if there is any missing information.
- Complete with No Charge – Once we receive all of your post workday documents, we will send confirmation that your card is not charged and close your workday account.
PGH Mobile Toolbox FAQ
When it comes to community projects, we find that there is often a lot of motivation, resources for events, and partnerships with service providing organizations; there is a shortage of tools available to communities to sustain the care taking and stewardship of their green projects. To make this resource as available as possible, we will bring the tools to you!
Any resident of Allegheny County who is over 18 and has at least 5 volunteers from committed to assisting with the workday.
Any community serving cleaning and green effort that are led by and for the benefit of surrounding communities.
Once registered to use the Mobile Tool Box, you will have access landscaping tools, hand tools, and under special request, small power tools! For a full inventory of equipment available, check out the Tool Inventory. Don’t see what you need, call our office at 412 361 2099 ex 4 to put in a request. If we have multiple requests for the same tool, we may be able to add it to the inventory!
Absolutely not! We have hired a seasonal hauling contractor who will be delivering the trailer to your site. The contractor will also facilitate a brief tool safety training for your volunteers and even assist with your workday execution! Once finished, the contractor will haul the trailer away.
Seasonally from April 1st through the end of October on Fridays and Saturdays from 10am-4pm for single day increments. The resource will not be left overnight on site.
The cancellation fee is simply a pre-authorization process for your credit card. Your card will not be charged the $50 fee unless you breach the terms and conditions listed below.
- All reservation cancellations must take place at least 48 hours before the scheduled workday.
- The workday coordinator must provide all of the required paperwork on time
- During the workday, the coordinator must fully facilitate and direct volunteers (including the contracted hauler).
- The coordinator must assist with unloading and loading the PGH Mobile Toolbox equipment.
Go to Lotstolove.org and submit the intake form. Please familiarize yourself with our terms and conditions before submitting. We will get in touch with you shortly after to schedule a phone call. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the GTECH office at 412 361 2099 ex. 4 to speak with Lydia Kramer.
A mobile landscaping tool library stocked with a range of hand tools, equipment and landscaping materials available for *free to resident groups and community organizations to use in the care taking and stewardship of vacant land and community green space. Registration for using the trailer will be facilitated through the online portal www.lotstolove.org.
* Credit Card information required for cancellation fee